CrowdSec package for OpenWrt

Will this work for TurrisOS as well? Or will it need customization?

I am pretty sure it will work on TurrisOS without more customization than what is needed on OpenWrt.
It is 21.02.x based, but I also use it on 19.07.x
The installation process still need some customization and tweaks to be more user friendly and automated.
We have started to discuss it here at OpenWrt forum topic :

1 Like

Sweet. I just contacted Turris to suggest some sort of colaboration. I’ll keep you posted on the outcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Update (PR) to latest upstream release version done… :wink:

and

Will be forwarded to 21.02, as soon as validated !

Have an happy new year all…

If you want to contribute and/or help to the OpenWrt specifics needs, please take a look at the topic here: Crowdsec packages for OpenWrt - For Developers - OpenWrt Forum

2 Likes

Thanks for the link and for the update to 1.2.2. Someone’s asking for a wiki entry. I don’t know exactly what that means but I know that I am working along with our new ambassador, Precious, on a section in the official docs on installing on OpenWRT as well as an article on usage. And on top of that I created an issue on creating parsers for dropbear and uHTTPd so that CrowdSec on OpenWRT is able to protect itself :slight_smile:

A contributor made a quick wiki on official OpenWrt space:

Thanks for the issues about dropbear and uHTTPd !
I will try to get a look at it…

For the article about OpenWrt and CrowdSec, it is still in my TODO, I hope to get some time available to work on it…

Hey and thanks! Our new ambassador will be working on an article. He’ll be happy to send it to you for comments. Will that be ok?

1 Like

Still a lot to do to tweaks fine the OpenWrt version; but today, the 21.02.x branch get the latest version of CrowdSec (1.2.2) and Crowdsec-Firewall-Bouncer (0.0.21) !

1 Like

An OpenWrt user/contributor had started a wiki that you can look at:

I also just add some information about the firewall bouncer.

I found an issue on the initd of the latest release, the fix was proposed:

OpenWrt may also use another Web Server than uHTTPd, and dropbear is also only the default ssh.
The both are not afford to the internet side of OpenWrt system, so no urgency about this for me.
Where are these issue opened ?
In case I could help on them…
:innocent:

I need to do more tests with my Docker services.
I want to protect them with my main OpenWrt GateWay/Router firewall, like I have done before with LXC services.
I still get no time to tests and share experiences on this type of installation.
And I get just no success with my first steps tests on ARM64 OpenWrt to get CrowdSec and Docker working…

As usual…
Stay tuned for more (or do it yourself…) :sunglasses:

Please, do…
I can try help on this if I can !

Great! I’ll let you know when something’s ready. I created this issue on the missing parsers.

1 Like

New upstream relase 1.2.3 of CrowdSec proposed to OpenWrt:

1 Like

Merged, and cherry-picked to a new PR for 21.02.x

Hi Gandalf, thanks for your help in installing Crowdsec, finally I got crowdsec running on my Rpi4 with Openwrt. But I have difficulty in choosing the collections or parsers. Do you have any default or may have collections for the post installation of crowdsec to be installed? I mean for the functioning of crowdsec, which further packages are necessary or just the setup is enough to do the job?

The OpenWrt packages as defaults already installed with the post process package.
It will cover all needed on OpenWrt system.

The CrowdSec team as in is TODO list to work on more specific components for OpenWrt.
I also will help on this or may be do some parts myself.

Please take a look at the official CrowdSec documentation if you want better understanding the possibilities of the tools.
You wan also look at the blog and tutorials already available.

The defaults setup is enough for 99% of the needs on OpenWrt.

The Wiki CrowdSec Documentation at OpenWrt Wiki still need enhancement to help end-user.
But I always try to be as much as possible user-friendly on the OpenWrt packages version of CrowdSec.
I may also wrote specific howto, maybe, later.

You may also try to explain the needs you want to cover which is not in the default configuration already if you want anyone to help ?

firewall fix PR for master merged !

firewall initd fix for 21.02 (PR opened):

will resolve issue:

PRs for lua-cs-bouncer and crowdsec-nginx-bouncer:

…stay tuned !

1 Like

planning to fix the;

• uci-defaults firstboot problem?
  • ipv6 problem?

anytime soon? not sure why you pushed to have these in the stable branch with so many issues… wasting peoples time and creating an unfillable support burden on the crowdsec community… development branch is understandable… but stable branch was a mistake…

:exploding_head:

HIDDEN RIGHT OF REPLY (only) no useful technical contents

First time I hear of this !
Can you explain ?

Yourself only problem.
Need to be studied, but not urgent !

Sure, when I get some time !

So many issues ?
Really ?

Can I laugh ?
Do you really think this as valuable ?
Do you feel better by saying again ?

So anyone can test and help, but not request, for himself !

It was so hard to be accepted at first, but take you on some others able to test and evaluate the CrowdSec solution !

Do you feel your sentence as judgment, or do you express your effort as valuable ?

I do not see anything from you on this work for sharing any valuable information.
Nothing on the Wiki, nothing as trolling and bad meaning !

@wulfy23
As I said, if you want your need being taking done as professional service, I may be open to your sponsorship !
If not, now way, I get it when I can, when I want, when I need, when I feel to !
No one but you at the OpenWrt subject about CrowdSec package take so bad feeling and so aggressive words than you do.
It makes some time now you decide to become trolling all I do !
You take from respectuous fan feeling to bad aggressive trolling…
What may have I done to you ?
What take you to this bad minding !
You become bad and more bad at OpenWrt, not followed by anyone, then you get more here !?
Great, if you like it…
I do not understand, but I my have to give a try than some off the population on this earth are not able to prefer judgment and war to effort and share.
You take so time on this, I have to take the point.

Do you really think you will get any results with this like ?
I may give you just one last full answer about all, then I will ignore, and may be no apologize may ever take you back…

• I do not work for money at OpenWrt !
  • but, I trust in the best of all…
  • I am human and may do some errors !
  • but, I learn and always share my fixes…

OpenWrt is a hobby, it is a pleasure to collaborate, it is a community mainly trusting and respecting human care…
CrowdSec share the same spirit for me, with innovative and collaborative solution, that I share with OpenWrt people…
This all was a beautiful adventure, and it is just a start…

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
(M.T.)

At all others, sorry for the noise, I may trash this “answer” if you prefer, but I need to explain, because trolls also may be save from themselves, may be ! :innocent:

Official OpenWrt forum CrowdSec packages topic: