Crowdsec update on Debian 12 and other questions

Hello there !
I installed Crowdsec on my Debian / LAMP server, running Nextcloud. I’ve checked if my questions were answered elsewhere but I can’t seem to find what I need. I am confused about how the whole thing works despite looking at a bunch of tutorials.
I connected the cscli to Crowdsec Hub, added apache2, ssh and nextcloud collections, configured the log files… It was working fine, showing me alerts so something was up. I didn’t use my server for a month and by using today, it’s been up for 4hours and I had no new alerts since then.
Questions :

1. Is it normal behaviour ? Do alerts take time to show up ?
  2. The Crowdsec Hub is telling me my version is outdated but apt is telling me it’s up to date with version 1.4.6-6~deb12u1 (which is obviously not the latest). What is the solution to update to newest ?
  3. I can see in the acquis.yaml which log files are listed, among them syslog.log and auth.log which are out of date as of Debian 12. Indeed /var/log/crowdsec.log says it doesn’t find them. Debian 12 documentation says syslog and auth logs are only accessible via the journalctl command now. Does Crowdsec automatically checks that ?
  4. The nextcloud collection is installed (appears in cscli collections list), but do I need to install a bouncer dedicated to nextcloud ? I already have a firewall bouncer => can it take malicious IPs threatening Nextcloud and create a firewall rule against them ? Or am I completely missing how Crowdsec works ?

Thanks for your answers
Vincent

Update : I searched a bit more and found how to install Crowdsec properly. I did an apt remove --purge crowdsec, used the script provided on install.crowdsec.net and installed crowdsec back again, now I’ve got the newest version.
However after reinstalling the Nextcloud collection, I wanted to intall the nextcloud remediation component, and it seems it doesn’t exist on the Hub. Previously i installed openresty-nextcloud remediation component following that tutorial : Install and secure your NextCloud server with CrowdSec | CrowdSec however I don’t have a docker install and I don’t know if that’s an “official” remediation component. So again my question is : is the firewall remediation component sufficient ?
Hope someone can help me with that

Yes as long as you dont have any upstream proxies like Cloudflare for example as the way the “proxy” support works it will negate the firewall remediation.

1 Like